miércoles, septiembre 21, 2005

la economia

well my amiga leah complained that my blog wasnt a honduras blog, it was a sports blog, so i decided to update with more info.

teaching econ has gone well so far. the admin. seems to be cool with it. the organization at this school is terrible, to be blunt. but the kids arent like poor or disprivledged or whatever, like some1 implied in 1 of the comments. most of them are actually pretty rich, or at the very least, middle class. but really, the only reason they want a lit. class is so the kids practice reading, writing, etc. in english....so i can do that too, while teaching em econ.

a few of em really amazed me with some econ knowledge.....some included things such as direct foreign investment, the WTO, the IMF, TLC(spanish abbreviation for CAFTA) amoung other things in their papers, but 90% are clueless. I had an entire class spend 15 minutes trying to answer the question ¨what is revenue¨when a packet sitting right in front of them did basically everything but spit it out for them. but that was 9th grade, by far the worst grade.

more and more, im starting to really realize that this is my role here. ive got something to really offer these kids....more than just some random gringo who can speak english. ive got stuff i can teach them thatll mean something in their lives, which is a good feeling. cuz all along, Thomas(Bible) and Brad(Bio, Chem) & Megan(Science, Math) have had that. and i kinda was just like....man, grammar and lit are worthless. but now im really glad to teach them econ. i hope someday when some of them go to college and take econ, theyll be ahead of other kids, because of what i taught them.

tho, i dono what Honduran colleges are like, to be totally honest, i think theres very few thatd make it in an american college. most of the students dont take learning or academics seriously.

well thats all for now. to the UVA fan and SU fan fighting on my blog....please stop! :)

7 Comments:

At 6:59 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

B5Media Blog Network Launches
P.S. Just off to launch my own blog network, I'd happily give my bloggers 75% of the revenue and still have trouble sleeping at night thinking I was a cpaitalist pig exploiting the workers.
Hey, what a great blog you have here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a SherlockHolmes site/blog. It pretty much covers SherlockHolmes related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 7:00 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

This is an awesome blog! I will come back for sure!

I have a fantasy football help site. It pretty much covers fantasy football help related stuff, but has blogs and other cool features.

check it out :-)

 
At 10:07 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey, I was starting to think the same as Leah. Glad to hear more about Honduros, and that you are making a difference in the lives of your students.I guess you should ignore my last email.
Mom

 
At 9:34 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Jeff,


Want me to mail down any more Econ books?

-Tu hermano

 
At 8:33 a. m., Blogger Sally said...

"i kinda was just like....man, grammar and lit are worthless."

Ahem. Don't make me come down to Honduras and yell at you. :)

 
At 2:38 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Fire John L. Smith

0-3 verus U of M.

Fire John L. Smith

 
At 2:38 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Fire John L. Smith

0-3 verus U of M.

Fire John L. Smith

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home